nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit grower laments

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit grower laments
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:02:23 -0400

To a point I agree with you regarding importation restrictions.

(disclaimer: I am a proud libertarian who would gladly sit back and watch
the Federal Government melt down and go away if I had my druthers about
it...I'm not working toward that goal in any way, I just wouldn't miss much
of it were something to happen).

I live approximately 15 minutes from Canada (north of Canada if you can
believe it) and once upon a time I could cross the border and import the
same plants that many of the local nurseries sell (complete with grown in
Canada tags).

Now, due to the fear of terrorist plants (pun intended) I cannot (bring
plants back over the border). Chances are a good wind will move any disease
vector or insect from one side of the border to the other, additionally
plants are already being moved, on a much grander scale than I could even
envision. Back just a couple years ago (2005) there was a sensible solution
to this problem, only certain varieties could be brought over and those
plants were certified (with phytosanitary certificates issued at the
location of sale).

Would I still require inspection, sure. But the current prohibition means
that should I be looking for a particular Clematis variety and cannot get it
locally, then I become an international terrorist for trying to bring a
plant back. Seems a little much. (heck, I'm still waiting for my million
dollar bonus from AIG cause I didn't lose them any money at all last year)

So, I guess those new Saskachewan cherry varieties and all the new
honeyberry varieties will remain out of reach to us (not to mention the
aforementioned Evans Cherry).

Scott Hills
Zone 6b Michigan

sites.