nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer dogs

  • From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo@charter.net>
  • To: <skkewing@yahoo.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer dogs
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:07:33 -0500

I would add that Great Pyranees are great guard dogs, and they do stick
around - especially good if you have livestock, as they will bond with them
and protect them from coyotes. In Colorado, at CSU, they use the Komodorok
(big mop-like dogs) to guard the sheep they use for research. The Kuvasc
are also in that category (the white female 'lead' in "Homeward Bound II"
was a young Kuvasc, I believe).

I have Whippets - they are great prey dogs, but will not stick around!

Lori

Lori Rizzo, RN BSN MBA
Health Care Quality Improvement
Pet Training & Behavior Improvement!