nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer-resistant plants
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:35:46 -0500

On Feb 27, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:

On Feb 27, 2009, at 5:08 PM, Melissa Kacalanos wrote:

Bird netting sounds easy enough,

>From what I've read, some types of bird netting might trap and strangle other animals -- e.g. the neighbors' cats.

Anybody know anything about this?

I've trapped and killed lots of animals in my bird netting, but never a cat. I've only trapped things with heads small enough to get into one of the holes, so mostly chipmunks and juncos (a bird) but some other small critters, too. (Mice and other birds.) Cats are WAY to big to killed by by bird netting. I suppose one might possibly get tangled in it, (never happened to any of my cats, who have collectively spent a lot of time near the netting) but it'd just be a trapped paw, and I assume a cat with a trapped paw would live long enough for you to see it and cut it free.

Ginda