nafex - Re: [NAFEX] elderberry use

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] elderberry use
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:46:18 -0800 (PST)

I had my first experience with elderberry wine last autumn. I was told the greenish scum was from the stems. Regardless, I have found that it doesn't interfere with fermentation, but will set hard as a rock if exposed to heat. I was able to clean it very easily with Oxyclean and a brush. If you have no other way to use your juice, I suggest you might try making a batch of elderberry wine with the juice that is showing the green goo.