nafex - [NAFEX] elderberry use

  • From: <kbrubaker@nc.rr.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] elderberry use
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 22:08:08 -0500

hello,

I have seen some posts mentioning use of elderberries for various purposes,
but i am curious how some of you are processing the fruit. We used an auger
style food mill this past year to make quite of bit of juice from our Adams
and Johns berries. During the process we noticed quite a bit of "oil" on the
surface of the juice, but didn't think much of it. The juice was divided up
into freezer bags and frozen immediately after processing (no heating). Upon
thawing, some of the bags are fine, but others now have a significant
greenish oil that has separated out. Should we have heated the juice before
freezing?

Up until this past year we have just frozen the whole berries and used them
in baked goods. I can't tell any difference in the baked foods used with
this past years berries, so i don't think the crop was any different than
usual.

any thoughts?

Thank you,
Kurt