nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Steve's first persimmon

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Steve's first persimmon
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:47:19 -0500

yarrylo@hotmail.com wrote:
The Israeli persimmon commonly available in supermarkets is the Sharon fruit, a PCA cultivar "Triumph." The fruit as sold is similar to Fuyu (a PCNA cultivar) in color, shape, size, consistency and taste, but only because it has been chemically or thermally treated to precipitate the soluble tannins and remove the astrigency. Astringent persimmons may be cold stored for longer periods of time than non-astringent allowing the Sharon fruit to serve as a Fuyu substitute during the off-season when it sells at a premium price. Alan Stein
Pittsburgh, PA

That was very informative. Thanks.

It has me wondering about the process you know they use to get rid of the astringency when the fruit is still firm. Wouldn't it be great if this was something that could be done at home? Wouldn't it be great if it worked on American persimmons?
I think it would be a real advantage to the home growers with a bumper crop of American persimmons. Give some of then the treatment so they could be eaten early and perhaps firm, for a change. It would kind of spread out the fresh eating season.
I can't grow persimmons but if I could, I think I would be digging for the information on how they do that.

Steve