nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Maple Sap (off topic)

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Maple Sap (off topic)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:47:05 -0500

On Jan 29, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

If anyone has any questions about making Maple Syrup, I am available to
answer questions. I've been doing it since 1972 and have used buckets, bags
and tubing (including vacuum) for collecting sap. I've cooked it using the
multiple-kettle-method, large iron pots, commercial (and home-made)
evaporators.

As someone with extremely little experience in making maple syrup, I have only one comment to make here, which I post because it addresses a situation that people who do have experience probably don't run into:

Do not make maple syrup in a kitchen that is wallpapered; at least, not unless you were tired of the wallpaper anyway. (If you are tired of the wallpaper anyway, you can save the rent on a wallpaper steamer by going ahead and making the syrup.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly