nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting paw paws in midsummer

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting paw paws in midsummer
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:42:49 -0600

My own experience moving pawpaw suckers is extremely limited - 2 survived out of 3 moved in late July.
Most of us are accustomed to working with typical temperate deciduous trees(pomefruits, stonefruits, nut trees, etc.) that have a less-than complete winter dormancy (root growth continues even though the top may be 'dormant') and a fibrous root system, whereas pawpaws, being the sole surviving genus of a group of tropical plants is 'whole 'nother critter'. It has a fleshy root system, and, so far as I'm aware, it really does go fully dormant during winter, carrying out virtually no root growth.
Hence, mid to late summer transplanting appears to hold greatest promise for success, while early spring transplanting, as the plants are just coming out of dormancy would appear to be second best.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY