nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting paw paws in midsummer

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting paw paws in midsummer
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:38:22 EST

In a message dated 12/17/2008 2:26:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, alandhaigh@gmail.com writes:

I get maybe 80% take fall dormant transplanting Paw Paw suckers, and I'm very suspicious of anecdotal observations including my own.

Some years back when the NAFEX annual meeting was in Decatur, GA in August Donna Hudson brought a large amount of pawpaw seedlings that she had pulled from her compost pile. For three days she gave them away. As attendees were departing the final day she had about 17 left. Asked if I wanted them I at first said no whereupon the threat of throwing them into the trash promoted me to rescue them. Now at this point they had been out of the ground three days with leaves attached. The following day I planted them. Middle of August!

I just checked my notes: Planted Aug. 16. Watered again Aug. 20. On Aug 30 all but 1 were alive and looking good, watered again.

Once I transplanted a random small one year seedling from a flower bed to the field in April. It failed. That summer a sprout came up from the root left behind in the flower bed. In August I dug up that root and sprout and transplanted because of this continual rumor that transplanting pawpaws in August works. It worked.

This isn't scientific for sure, uncontrolled extermination for sure by an amateur. But 16 out of 17 survived computes to 93% success. That is rather difficult to argue with.

Jerry

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)