nafex - [NAFEX] transplanting paw paw suckers

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] transplanting paw paw suckers
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:18:12 -0500

Talking about paw paw suckers Alex asked "could you briefly describe how you transplant the suckers?  The success stories I've heard involve severing them from the main tree, but leaving them in the ground for another season before digging them up."

I just dig them up in late fall, severing the main root and plant them in about 60 percent shade.  Maybe they succeed because they are growing in well drained, almost pure humus encouraging more than normal fine root production- who knows?