nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple tastes - resend

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple tastes - resend
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:22:52 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Sorry my previous note got sent before I finished it.
=============
Mark,
Your note about "snap" causes me to mention my experience with "squirting"
apples a few weeks ago. A neighbor planted four identical apple trees of
unknown
variety about 25 years ago so that he would have apples to feed his several
horses.
The trees are un-pruned and un-sprayed and have gotten very large. Apples
are medium
size, similar to Magnum Bonum, but ripen a couple weeks later. This year the
apples were so pressurized that when you cut into them, or bit into them they
squirted a long stream of juice - I had never seen anything like it. The
owner said that has happened a few previous years when we had a hot summer,
and the apples ripened early, as they did this year. After 4 or 5 days
storage at room temperature they no longer squirted.
Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC