nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seeking Highbush Cranberry Knowledge

  • From: "Kim Maser" <prairiegrapes@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seeking Highbush Cranberry Knowledge
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:59:44 -0600

Hi Jim; It makes quite a nice jelly here in the Canadian Prairies It grows wild here in our area and was utilized by many pioneers for a source for jellies and wine.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture//crops/fruit/bli01s00.html

http://www.saskfruit.com/studentwebsites/High%20Bush%20Cranberry%20Hrycan/Consumerpage/consumer.html

These websites might help you out .

Cheers

Kim Maser
Canadian Sources (NAFEX)

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca> wrote:
A 08:44 08.10.26 -0500, vous avez écrit :

>   Some references call it Viburnum trilobum, others V. opulus.  Some
stands of it have bitter fruit.  Some are sweet(ish) and others smell like
dirty socks.  Am I experiencing different varieties?  Are the differences
environmental?  Highbush Cranberry is becoming a popular landscape tree and
there are likely more folks who are asking the same questions.  Others and
I are trying to make a palatable jelly with it.  What has been your
experience?

>Jim Fruth

Jim,
Viburnum trilobum is very common in Quebec. It is commonly called here
"Pimbina", which is, I think, the way indians called it. It is known that
they used it for food, but I don't know how they cooked it and what they
did with it.
I have used it mixed with apples in juice - it gives some color and
astringency to the juice and can be interesting for cider.

Here in Quebec, it is quite badly affected by a pest that defoliates it by
end of summer. The plant survives OK, but it is not very atractive as a
landscape bush... I don't know if this issue can be easily solved.

Claude,
Quebec.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.