nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seeking Highbush Cranberry Knowledge

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seeking Highbush Cranberry Knowledge
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:29:32 -0400

A 08:44 08.10.26 -0500, vous avez écrit :

> Some references call it Viburnum trilobum, others V. opulus. Some
stands of it have bitter fruit. Some are sweet(ish) and others smell like
dirty socks. Am I experiencing different varieties? Are the differences
environmental? Highbush Cranberry is becoming a popular landscape tree and
there are likely more folks who are asking the same questions. Others and
I are trying to make a palatable jelly with it. What has been your
experience?

>Jim Fruth

Jim,
Viburnum trilobum is very common in Quebec. It is commonly called here
"Pimbina", which is, I think, the way indians called it. It is known that
they used it for food, but I don't know how they cooked it and what they
did with it.
I have used it mixed with apples in juice - it gives some color and
astringency to the juice and can be interesting for cider.

Here in Quebec, it is quite badly affected by a pest that defoliates it by
end of summer. The plant survives OK, but it is not very atractive as a
landscape bush... I don't know if this issue can be easily solved.

Claude,
Quebec.