nafex - [NAFEX] disease and dwarfed peaches

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] disease and dwarfed peaches
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:30:53 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I've noticed over the years that all the peaches I have on Citation rootstock
look relatively sick compared to those on standard stock. They typically
have poor color in the leaves, not dark green and show epinasty (leaf
rolling) and increased bacterial spot damage. The effect is most extreme
late in the season.

At first I blamed it on the scion cultivar. My first peach dwarfed on
Citation was George IV. I've never grown such a sickly tree before, though
the peaches were good. Now I've got more cultivars, including one with a
standard comparison, Indian Blood Free. IBF is rather susceptible to
bacterial spot anyway, but the other symptoms don't show on the standard
stock.

Have others seen similar effects of dwarfing rootstocks on peaches?

My genetic dwarfs are all very healthy, so it doesn't appear to be the
dwarfing per se. However, another contributor with a good collection of
peaches has reported similar effects from PumiSelect.

Anton
Zone 8
Fruit season over, just enjoying the canned pears, preserves, etc.