nafex - [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries for the North

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries for the North
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:18:23 -0700 (PDT)

I had trouble with mice girdling trees the first year and have kept putting
hardware cloth collars (about 18" height and 6" diameter) around the trees
ever since, but the addition of too many cats seems to mean that the mice
don't get into the unmulched parts of my garden where I currently have about
2000 fruit tree seedlings.

Most black sweet cherries available in Canada are actually a 1983 Canadian
introduction called 'Lapins' which is 'Van' x 'Stella' and was originally
trialed as a Bing pollinator and became it's replacement in commercial
orchards. I found 'Lapins' at our local Canadian Tire store and had to put
in two trees last spring: this spring one leafed out right to the tip and the
other died back by half; it had a gap in the windbreak to it's Northwest
which is where our prevailing winds come from and last winter hit the extreme
cold temperatures that we get (-45 F). There are a few hobby growers up here
who have gotten fruit off of their 'Lapins' trees in spite of it being listed
as zone 5 so I have high hopes even though I am further out from Edmonton
than they are which usually means about a zone colder than they are. This
spring I put in a 'Biga' and a 'Binga' which are supposed to be zone 3-4
hardy black sweet cherries (Windmill Point Farms in Quebec) that
I can only assume are 'Bing' seedlings named by someone without much
imagination! With that idea in mind I keep trying to grow 'Bing' seeds and
have had no success to date. I don't have more any actual info on 'Biga' and
'Binga' and if anyone does, I'd love to hear it.

As for 'sour/semi-sweet' cherries, I have 'Evans' (of course: the Dr. Evans
who discovered and propagated them lives only a few miles away!), 'Cerise de
L'Ile' (a self fertile Quebec heirloom I added this spring), 'Lake' and
'Raven' black cherries (cluster sweet cherries, not chokecherries, looking
for more info on these too), 'Rose', and all the University of Saskachewan
cherries: 'Carmine Jewel', 'Crimson Passion', 'Valentine', 'Romeo', 'Juliet',
and 'Cupid'. If you have a chance to grow the U of S cultivars: jump with
both feet! They are super hardy (at least zone 2 and my 20+ trees have not
died back here in the 4 years we have had them) and they are very tasty: much
more flavour and sugar than a Bing' although they have more acid too which is
why they are generally listed as semi-sweet. They make super jam, pie, ice
cream topping, et cetera, and we love to eat them off the tree.

I'm also planning to add the zone 5 black sweet cherry 'Stella' (also
produces for other people I know up here), the Mazza cherries ('Mazy' and
'Maza', ditto on imagination, kudo's for species clarity!), and anything else
I can find next year!

Sarah
Zone 3b