nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to press oil from nuts and seeds?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to press oil from nuts and seeds?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:03:07 -0700

Nice technique, Lon.

When I was trying to produce everything from my minifarm, oils were a tough challenge.  I used to have plans, I think they were from Rodale, for a homemade oil press using a hydraulic jack.  I used a fine-mesh bag of ground nuts in a cheese press, and a lot of leveraged weight.  Walnuts and pumpkin seeds were good producers; but my easiest home-produced oil-like thing was butter…

~ Stephen