nafex - [NAFEX] Growing Plums and Arctic Kiwi (smooth skins) from seed

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing Plums and Arctic Kiwi (smooth skins) from seed
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

I'm wondering if any NAFEX members might have some advice on starting plums
and Arctic Kiwi from seed. I'm not sure if the Kiwi seeds need to be cold
stratified and I'm wondering what others have experienced. These Kiwis are
the smooth skinned grape-sized ones with the tri-colour new growth. And I
recently met someone at our local fruit growers festival that had cracked
their peach, cherry and plum seeds in a vice before planting them out in the
fall to cold stratify over the winter. I have grown 100's of chokecherries,
Cherry Plums, and Nanking Cherries by just planting them in the fall so is
all this cracking really necessary for the other stone fruits? Ironically
enough, I have had very little success growing Peaches and sweet cherries
from seed.

Thank-you,

Sarah
Zone 3b, Edmonton, AB