nafex - [NAFEX] Thank-you: Pomona's Pectin and Orchard Reviews!

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thank-you: Pomona's Pectin and Orchard Reviews!
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thank-you to all the advice on jam making. I looked into Pomona's pectin and
definitely plan to order it for next year. I thought I was finished with jam
making for this year and then my Father-in-law (from zone 6/7 Southern B.C.)
brought me some blackberries so I made them into a triple batch of jam using
the "Bernardin No Sugar Needed" pectin that my Mother-in-law uses. I
followed the recipe using apple juice and adding 7 cups of sugar, 6
Tablespoon of lemon juice (because the berries were very, very ripe) and an
extra 2 Tablespoons of Certo Lite pectin (didn't have more Bernardin pectin
on hand) and the entire huge batch of jam gelled beautifully and saved me
much time. Incidentally, my Mother-in-law says she had never had trouble
gelling single batches of Splenda jam using Bernardin pectin and used to have
periodic trouble making sugar jam with Certo pectin. My experimental double
batches of Peach and Spiced Peach jam have sorta gelled into a
useable, but messy experience. Looking forward to trying Pomona's and being
able to expect success every time.

And a huge thank-you to those of you who take the time to post orchard
reviews! I love to read them and they are very helpful in considering what
to add to my ridiculous hobby and what to expect in general from the whole
fruit growing experience.

Thank-you to everyone!

Sarah Ewing

Zone 3ish Edmonton, AB

  • [NAFEX] Thank-you: Pomona's Pectin and Orchard Reviews!, Sarah Kehler Ewing, 09/23/2008