nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mowing orchards

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: <tomelzear@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mowing orchards
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:34:54 -0500

Jim,

I've not tried limestone under trees, but it should conserve water and
reduce weed pressure. If you have acidic soil, slowly adding lime might be
a good thing. Many soils around here are already alkaline, so it probably
wouldn't be a good idea in Kansas. Of course, the stones won't add any
organic matter. But they might have the advantage of harboring predators
(ground beetles) a small benefit, but every little bit helps.

Mark
KS