nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Goumi 'Sweet Scarlet' (Eleagnus multiflora)

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Goumi 'Sweet Scarlet' (Eleagnus multiflora)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:00:50 -0700 (PDT)

Well, my one remaining "Sweet Scarlet Goumi", bought from a reputable nursery, produces ripe fruit in the fall, not spring and thus turns out to be an autumn olive, not a goumi.  So the question I want to ask you, is "When does yours produce fruit?"

In other words, I have personal experience with "Sweet Scarlet" being misidentified by a highly "reputable" nursery and want to make sure this is not the problem you are dealing with.  Despite guarantees, lots of dialog and promises, they never corrected the problem, so I will not mention the name here but would be happy to discuss off list with you if your problem is misidentification and you want more info about the source of my problem.

My true Sweet Scarlet produced fruit easily 1/2" or longer (before I lost it) in the late spring, but I would not have describe the fruit as 1/2" in diameter.  Mine were not round fruit.  It was a different source than the first one mentioned as well.

John