nafex - [NAFEX] Goumi 'Sweet Scarlet' (Eleagnus multiflora)

  • From: piper33@verizon.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Goumi 'Sweet Scarlet' (Eleagnus multiflora)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:38:26 -0500 (CDT)

I purchased Goumi 'Sweet Scarlet' (Eleagnus multiflora) about 7 years ago. I get lots of blooms for the bees. I also get lots of fruit, but they are small. I picked enough fruit in an hour last year to make one bottle of wine. It turned out to be an excellent wine (hints of guava) that my friends selected in a blind taste test over commercial white wine. The descriptions I have for the Sweet Scarlet variety says the fruit should be 1/2" diameter. Mine is half that size. I bought my plant from a respectable nursery, but I'm wondering if I just have a seedling rather than the large-fruited selection. Or maybe mine was grafted onto seedling rootstock and the top of the graft died. Does anyone grow Sweet Scarlet Goumi with truly large (>=1/2" diameter) fruit?
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 7
picking strawberries. honeyberries and rhubarb are done. raspberries just starting