nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry and blackberry seed

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry and blackberry seed
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

Ernest,

What did you try? Germinating raspberry and blackberry seed is not too
difficult although germination percentages can at times be discouragingly
low. The hard seed coat is the biggest limiting factor in the germination of
the seed. In our breeding program here in Corvallis, we treat seeds in a
bath of concentrated sulphuric acid before stratification to increase our
emergence. This is not an option for most people but good results can be
obtained by cleaning the seed, drying it thoroughly, and then stratifying in
the refrigerator. When I was germinating seed at home I obtained ok results
by sowing the seed in flats and leaving them out over our mild winters but I
obtained even better results by putting the seeds in a small cup in the
refrigerator. I put enough water in to just cover them completely and then I
sealed it up to prevent evaporation. In ~3-4 months (depends a little on the
fridge temp and genotype) I could see the seed coats starting
to split and the root tips beginning to emerge and I then pulled them out
and put them in an appropriate place to germinate.

Did you try cold stratification? It might be a little easier to pinpoint
what to tweak if we knew exactly what you did...

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com