nafex - [NAFEX] white druplet disorder-blackberries

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] white druplet disorder-blackberries
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:30:02 -0500

We're started picking Arapaho blackberries now, and a high percentage have
several white (or tan) drupelets per berry. The white drupelets shrivel and
die and make the berries unappealing. There doesn't seem to be a clear
consensus among experts as to the cause of this problem (i.e. sunburn,
temperature related, genetic, etc.) I was wondering if anyone else is
seeing it this year. Also how often does this occur. Right now, it looks
like a significant amount of fruit will have to be thrown out, unless we
decide to make jam.

Mark
KS