nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Artichokes, not quite a fruit, but...

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Artichokes, not quite a fruit, but...
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:11:00 -0700

I would use K+ Neem - a neem/insecticidal soap combo - for the flea beetles;
or you can just use a strong spray of water, or Safer's pyrethrum/soap yard
and garden spray.
They like a balanced fertilizer. I would give them a granulated, balanced,
organic fertilizer now and/or top-dress with compost. Once a month give
them a spray of a balanced fertilizer. I use a 6-6-6 organic mixed with
liquid seaweed. Water them weekly well enough to wet the entire root
system.

Did you cut back the tops, tie the leaves over, and mulch to get them to
overwinter, or did they just make it through without such efforts?

If you let the artichoke flowers open and dry, seeds are produced at the
base of the choke - does that make them a fruit?

~ Stephen