nafex - [NAFEX] Importation of seeds.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Importation of seeds.
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:19:12 EDT

Dear Net,

I find myself between a moral rock and a legal hard spot. I consider everyone on this net a friend. I hope all consider myself as such after this message. But I can't stand by idly knowing the law and it's purpose regarding the importation of seeds into the US. I particularly appreciate all Dr. Parmar does for fruits world wide, the goals of NAFEX and the individual members of NAFEX. Dr. Parmar did collect, clean and properly ship many seeds in 2004 with the USDA's full cooperation at his expense and were auctioned at the annual meeting. I particularly appreciate his coming to the US at my invitation in 2004 to be the annual meeting banquet speaker. He also made several presentations on small fruits of his area.

But I feel an obligation to remind everyone that importation of any seeds into the US without a USDA importation permit is illegal and can bring the importer fines and in a worse case scenario even jail time. Importation permits are relatively easy to obtain and the USDA cooperates with importers knowing that importation can possibly improve the US food quality and supply. But there are diseases and insects that can be carried in seeds that could cost US consumers and taxpayers millions. Example, taxpayers have spend huge sums of money to try to eradicate the Sharka Virus which may have come in through illegal importation of Prunus material.

Before you import get a permit, know the regulations by obtaining a free copy and have the material inspected. Then smile knowing you can write a report for Pomona on the material without fear of a visit by the US Marshals.

Jerry Lehman
7780 Persimmon St.
Terre Haute, IN 47802-4994
812-298-8733