nafex - Re: [NAFEX] spring

  • From: "Robert C. Mullins" <mullins@gaelicmysts.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] spring
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 11:31:51 -0500

Agreed. Around here we have very dramatic Blackberry Winters, and of course is makes us all mad when we plant just a bit too early and watch helplessly when our beautiful green leaves turn brown. The first thing we blame is 'Global Warmin'. A few years ago it was 'El Nino', then 'El Nina', and whatever. On a personal note however the earth has always been in a state of flux with regard to variability, cooling, then warming, then cooling again.

Our Blackberry winter wasn't as bad this year as last. Last year even established trees got wiped out. No peaches at the peach festival, and no grapes at Grape Fest. It was a sad summer indeed.

William C. Garthright wrote:
Obviously, this is the wrong place to debate global warming (and I, for one, am not a climatologist). And if there's one thing I'm sure this group knows for certain, it's that the weather is variable. One cold winter or cool spring - or any other circumstance, by itself - means absolutely nothing.

I must say that, here in Nebraska, the difference between this year and last year is just incredible. But then, that's sort of expected around here. Never boring, anyway.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--