nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Trouble in paradise? (apple tree)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:14:05 -0500

Steve,

I blew up your image and enhanced it and it sure looks like borer canals running up and down the left side of the damaged area to me. I might be wrong, but I would still suspect borers caused the problem. Once they bore through the bark and begin entering the live tissue of the tree, that part of the tree no longer takes up nutrients to the remainder of the tree. The leaves on that side of the tree will yellow and some die off due to lack of nutrients. In the spring, there isn't enough tissue to be fed yet, so everything seems to be coming out. Once the amount of tissue has been produced that is greater than the nutrients being taken up, the leaves will yellow and die off as you describe in your last paragraph. I hope you are right and it is not borers, but a trunk spray to protect the area won't hurt and you could also wrap the area with tree wrap to prevent borers from attacking the area. If they are not the culprit, you don't want to give them any ideas! Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com