nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry - Why it is called Himalayan.

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry - Why it is called Himalayan.
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 02:55:32 -0400

Full name "Himalayan Giant" also used in U.K. for many years.

As to "why": many nurserymen will use any name that sells sometimes regardless of what the plant is. There is and has long been a very wide range of ethical standards in the business. Maybe it was thought to have associations of bigness of fruit because of the size of the Himalayan mountains.

I think we might have to wait on some scholar who has access to old catalogues and horticultural literature to do literature research.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar wrote:
Dear all,
I saw all my books/floras on Himalayan plants. I did not find it listed anywhere. So I do not think that it is plant from Himalayan region, even from India.
Why it has been named as Himalayan blackberry in USA.
Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com <http://www.fruitipedia.com>