nafex - [NAFEX] Coffee grounds bad for mycorrhizal fungi?

  • From: Jim Bastian <bastianjim@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Coffee grounds bad for mycorrhizal fungi?
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:00:46 -0700 (PDT)

I read somewhere that the caffeine in coffee is actually a self defense mechanism against disease in coffee plants and that some people actually spray coffee on there plants to prevent disease.

In the past year or two I have built up beneficial mycorrhizal fungi under my baby apple trees with wood chips and leaf mulch. Then recently I secured a source of free coffee grounds from a local convenience store to use as mulch. I am wondering if there is any chance the coffee grounds could kill off the fungi under my trees. Should I reserve the grounds for other uses or am I just paranoid about the effects of grounds on my fungi.

Any input appreciated,
Jim
Zone 4ish, 5ish, sometimes even 3ish NH