nafex - [NAFEX] Psylla and spraying

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Psylla and spraying
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:57:53 -0400

Doug, I have also heard something to this effect (I forget the exact reason now). I wanted to add that I have not sprayed my pears other than a dormant spray, but have still had the occasional outbreak of psylla in spite of that. It has generally been localized to a few trees and has not been a problem every year. So perhaps lack of spraying turns a major pest into a minor pest.

Scott

I have read that pear psylla as a pest is largely an artifact of
spraying, and I have seen and heard of several Pyrus communis pear trees
locally which yield good fruit without spraying. It may take a while for
the predator complex to become re-established. There are many Kieffer
pear trees on boulevards (Vineland fine sandy loam) in north St.
Catharines, left over from commercial orchards when suburbia came in a
few decades ago, which seem unbothered by pests.

  • [NAFEX] Psylla and spraying, Scott Smith, 03/31/2008