nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hmong

  • From: Debby Williams <williamsdeb@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Al Pernichele <pernichele@msn.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hmong
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:58:49 -0600

I believe the Hmong were mercenaries for the U.S. during the Vietnam War.
They are originally from China, I believe have been persecuted around S.E. Asia for centuries.
Yes they are agrarian, also mostly a closed society.  Unfortunately many have been relocated to the cities, especially in Wisconsin and Michigan.  Many of the men remain unemployed, the women make beautiful story quilts which they have been known to sell.
I had the pleasure of working with many of them in Lansing, Michigan in a community garden program.  They knew which community gardens had the best soils for specific crops and would grow accordingly.  All their seed was saved seed.  Great group of people to be around.

Debby