nafex - [NAFEX] red maples

  • From: Jerrydana5@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] red maples
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:12:29 EST

I want to ask what sounds like a stupid question:  What makes red maples red?  We have a red maple in our yard, and a couple of silver maples.  The Red maple turns yellow,  just like the silver maples.  The Silver maples actually have a tinge of red, more than most of the silver maples around here.  The other red maples around our town are bright red - beautiful.  I am quite sure of the variety-I know the difference between red and silver maples.  Could it be soil?  Light?  Jerry in southern Indiana