nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon)
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 13:25:58 -0500

At 07:14 PM 10/31/2007, Jerry wrote:

I never use the terminal but when grafting persimmon either. Cut if off! I haven't kept accurate records but remember the success rate using terminal buds seems to be lower. I also have started using just one, no more than two side buds. Too many often produce more of a bush than a central leader tree.

Agreed.  I usually put on a 2-bud scion, which typically grows nicely, but in the past, when I've had some varieties in very short supply, I've budded 1-bud pieces - which usually 'take', but often result in a really pronounced 'dogleg' in the shape of the trunk, which takes years to diminish in prominence.

Lucky

  • Re: [NAFEX] Acorns & grafting oaks (& persimmon), Lucky Pittman, 11/01/2007