nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp Dennis

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp Dennis
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:19:39 -0500

Murph,

Our demand for Honeycrisp is so great we can't keep up with it.  I would say that almost 100% of the time, it's the taste of Honeycrisp that the customer is looking for in our area.  We can have several thousand customers through the orchard and our Apple Barn (where our pre-picked apples are) per day and at least 35% of them ask for Honeycrisp.  We don't U-Pick them and have the tree rows unmarked throughout the orchard where Honeycrisp are planted so they won't get picked out of season.  We only sell them pre-picked for $19.95/peck and limit one peck per family and still sell out in 2 days.  They aren't the prettiest apple in the orchard, but appearance seems not to matter.

I think your idea of a wheelchair access lane is excellent.  We have a wheelchair access wagon we use for school tours or special needs group tours that we take into the orchard so those that are wheelchair bound can have the picking experience.  Since our main entrance road is 1/4 mile long and winds through the middle of our East and West orchards, those who do not go on tours can easily access the lanes via the road, so we have many handicapped folks visiting the orchard.