nafex - [NAFEX] Canning recipes for astringent type persimmons

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Canning recipes for astringent type persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 22:29:29 -0400

I have an unknown variety of astringent persimmon that came with the place when we bought it. This is one of its heavy bearing years and they are just starting to ripen. Does anyone have a recipe for making jam or persimmon butter using fully-ripened astringent persimmons? The year before last I tried making a batch of persimmon butter only to discover that prolonged cooking turns the ripened fruit astringent again. That last taste was a rude shock!

The pulp freezes well for use in pancakes, muffins, and so on, but I'd really like to be able to make something cannnable as this year I have very limited freezer space and it looks like I've got a good crop coming on.

Any ideas?

.....Alan.