nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice re spindly apple cultivar

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice re spindly apple cultivar
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:38:00 -0700

My first guess is that Linda is a tip bearing apple variety and sets it's fruit at the end of the branches.  I will send you a PDF file separately that tells you how to prune a tip bearer.  Basically you summer prune early to mid season in the summer and then the fruit buds form closer in.  Take a look at the PDF file and see what you think.  It says the PDF file is not to be duplicated so am not sending to the main list.  You can find it by going to google and typing in pruning tip bearing apple trees.

As far as pruning what you have left.  At least prune back any split branches so you have a clean cut and prune it for shaping.

Bob
Western Washington