nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Che/melon berry and question

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Che/melon berry and question
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:36:48 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/2007 9:16:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, swim_at_svc@yahoo.com writes:

Please forgive if the following not appropriate.

Last year I lost two small che, attributable to the extremely unusual winter. I've repurchased, but am interested from hearing if anybody is growing this in zone 5.  I am also intersted in obtaining seed for trials from any zone 5 trees that might be out there, in hopes of getting something more hardy
.

Hello John,

This subject is very
appropriate for this net.

Growing here zone 5b central West Indiana is one Chinese melon berry, Che also spelled Chi. It fruits almost every year and as I don't have a male it is small and seedless. Fruits are bright red when ripe, and taste like mulberry and melon. Haven't seen a problem with winter damage here.

Jerry