nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:27:40 -0500

I also think that for zone 5 both would be marginal and would probably be
killed by a test winter although you might not get one for 20 years. Cropping
might be erratic.

Thanks, Doug. Most sweet cherries I've seen are said to be hardy to zone 5, so I wasn't expecting the cold hardiness to be a big issue. I did understand that cropping would likely be erratic, but mainly because of the early bloom times. Well, with a dwarf tree that would hopefully bear quickly, a short lifespan wouldn't be a big problem. To be perfectly honest, I've been planting so many fruit trees in my backyard that I'll be swamped with the stuff if everything does survive.

I don't know that I'm in a big hurry,... except that I can't stand NOT planting something whenever I find another little bit of room. Heh, heh. I really am going to run out of room before long, and then I won't be able to plant anything else until something dies (or I get tired of it and rip it out). Well, I suspect that the anticipation might be better than the reality, anyway.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
When you have pastors and television pundits who appear to explicitly coordinate with one political party; when you're implying that your fellow Americans are traitors, terrorist sympathizers or akin to the devil himself; then I think you're attempting to hijack the faith of those who follow you for your own personal or political ends. - Sen. Barack Obama