nafex - [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:23:41 -0500

I've been told that sweet cherries aren't recommended around here (in Nebraska), but I'm thinking of giving them a try, anyway. If they don't work out, I'll just rip them out and try something else. So next spring, I'd like to plant two sweet cherry trees on Gisela 5 dwarfing rootstock.

I've seen at least two nurseries (Raintree and Adams County) that offer sweet cherries on this rootstock, but there are a LOT of different varieties,... and they all look good. Anyone care to give me a couple of recommendations? Ideally, I'd prefer that they ripen at different times (but bloom about the same time, for pollination) or that they are not identical in taste. But maybe some varieties would better than others in my climate?

Thanks much,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Since when do we have to agree with people to defend them from injustice? - Lillian Hellman