nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 14:16:39 -0400

Bill MacKently of SLN mentions in his Pomona coldhardiness consultant listing that phone calls are preferred.

While I have no personal experience with Evans/Bali, I noticed when ordering a gift plant for a friend from a Canadian nursery, that the plant was very little. Such need babying; careful planting, watering, weeding.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

S & E Hills wrote:
I barely have anything to contribute to this thread, though I have enjoyed
following it. I bought a Bali (Evans) from SLN this past spring and it
never established. It pushed forth a couple leaves, which wilted within a
couple weeks and the plant declined quickly from there. I have not removed
the plant hoping that there was a possibility of a root sucker (as I chose
Bali because of its propensity to sucker) coming forth and replacing the
dead tree. Nothing yet, I'm sorry to say.

I emailed the nursery twice, once when the plant was in serious decline
(within 2 weeks of planting) and once after it was obviously showing no
signs of list (above ground at least). I have yet to hear a reply on either
contact. I had checked the watchdog rating of SLN before having ordered and
the nursery has good ratings, but my experience has not been positive at
this point. (I think I should ask a question so this post has a point)
Anyone think this Bali has a chance of throwing a root shoot or am I more
likely to have to pull the remains and try again?

Also, has anyone left a negative feedback on Gardenwatchdog.com and at what
point did you do so? I don't want to affect the rating of a company for
which I've heard such good things, but my own experience has been
disappointing.

Scott Hill