nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:55:37 -0500

I don't see anything from Lucky on this subject. I think he was the one who said the Evans had a reputation for cold tolerance but only when on it's own roots. Whoever, said it, it was Lucky who sent me some sprouts, and one of them, though still small, has made a sprout some 8 ft away. Our local heirloom sour cherries do the same, though ours are amarelles and I heard the Evans is a morello type (more color and acid). Apparently sour cherries just make sprouts, and that's one of the reasons they get grafted on malaheb rootstocks. The advantages of own root sour cherries include being able to give trees away, and being able to replace a tree very simply by moving a sprout or just letting one grow. Sweet cherries also make at least a few sprouts unless grafted. On maleheb sweet cherries are said to be somewhat dwarfed, but are more shortlived. Supposedly sour cherries live longer on maleheb, but sounds like they don't live through the first winter in Z3. I think Steve would be wise to try Evans again, on it's own roots. Sounds like there are plenty of sprouts to go around in this group. Donna