nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best Pecan Cultivars for USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 20

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best Pecan Cultivars for USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 20
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:57:08 -0500

Richard makes a good point about eastern vs. western pecan selections; here in KY, I'm more involved with considering the northern/midwestern types vs the Southern varieties.
New Mexico State Univ. also has a good pecan program, and some of their info may be(I don't know) pertinent for you in CA. Here's one article on variety selection for NM: http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h-639.pdf
California's import restrictions may preclude shipping plants in from outside the state; Womack's may or may not be able to ship to CA, but they are a good source.

Perusing the USDA/ARS Pecan Breeding & Genetics website may give you some additional useful info: http://extension-horticulture.tamu.edu/carya/

Lucky