nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:07:29 -0400

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

The issue would be to insist your library has more current equipment, or
they maintain the software updates better. If you went into the library and
they only had last months (last years) newspapers you would complain. The
same rule should apply to computers in libraries.

I think that Tanis was using her own computer, not the library's.

I'm sure libraries would be happy to update equipment if you will donate it to them. Most smaller libraries are struggling for money to stay open more than a few hours a week. Many of them do get computers donated, often by computer companies, and some get broadband access donated; but they can't often go to the donaters and say "We must have new equipment! Right now!" (Yes, the money factor also limits how many newspapers and magazines they carry; and many of the magazines in my local library are also donated, some of them a week or so late so the original subscriber can read them first).

I doubt that it's essentially impossible to design sites that will do tricks for those as like them but will still function as basic pages for those who don't want to spend all their time and money updating their computers and their computer knowledge. What needs to be gotten across to the site designers is that both sorts of people are online.

There are also a lot of people online who have only slow telephone line modem access; and many who have trouble reading colored print against fancy design background.

I have seen sites designed to give the user choices in size and types of files, choices of music or no music, of plain text or lots of graphics; so it must be possible to do so. Why not aim for the largest audience, instead of writing off either those who want/need it simple or those who think that simple is boring?

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly