nafex - Re: [NAFEX] membership in NAFEX

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] membership in NAFEX
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:34:54 -0500

no one was too interested in yakking with a new member. I circulated around the room, but it is difficult to bust into circles of conversations that all the old pros were having. It might have been a nice gesture to introduce/ or have the member introduce themselves--and comment on "where they are" in their orcharding and what they hope to accomplish in the future; what they hope to learn? Also went to a couple of the sponsored lectures--very excellent information--but not for the lonesome or faint of heart, no comradely welcome there either.

I've had this experience with various organizations, too. And then the occasional group that really makes a newcomer feel welcome (usually due to an especially capable president who makes a point of greeting any new face). This makes a huge difference - the difference between not showing up again or eventually becoming one of the "old pros" yourself.

One nice thing about the NAFEX list is that no question is ridiculed. Even we brand-new fruit enthusiasts with a few trees in our backyards are made to feel welcome. I know I've asked some dumb questions, but I've always been answered politely and promptly. That means a lot. I'd recommend NAFEX to anyone.

Er,... but I must admit that I'm NOT a member of NAFEX, only of this email list. I keep meaning to investigate, to see what membership entails and costs, but I don't get around to it. It might help if that monthly reminder email gave us that information. Wouldn't it be useful if the list received a monthly email giving the NAFEX website, along with membership information? I tend to join groups - or donate money to them - when they make it VERY easy. Otherwise, I think about it but end up procrastinating.

Bill

--
We are prodding, challenging, seeking contradictions or small, persistent residual errors, proposing alternative explanations, encouraging heresy. We give our highest rewards to those who convincingly disprove established beliefs. - Carl Sagan