nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:47:48 -0400

Amanda Emily wrote:
1. The websites. They are your first line of marketing in the internet age, and they are showing their age. A site that looks like it was designed in the mid-90s with no new content is not going to make a favorable impression to those of the internet generation.

Agreed, but I'd be more inclined to actually work on content over design first.

2. Meetups and groups. I've attended, or rather have tried to attend many meetups and groups with an age group much older than I am. It may not be intentional, but the impression I've received is of "what is that young punk doing here in our group" (in those cases, it was with "friends of such-and-such park" groups). If someone younger shows up, don't give them grief and refer them to as the "babies of the group". It doesn't exactly feel very welcoming.

I can honestly say we have never been given grief. In fact, we have been warmly welcomed as new blood. NAFEX, and the organizations I've mentioned earlier are full of warm, accomodating folks. It stands to reason that the meetings are dominated by long-time members. Their collective experience and their work ethic are greatly appreciated...or should be. The best teachers are usually "them that's doin'". I think tapping this same knowledge base is paramount.