nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: Amanda Emily <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:53:38 -0700

As a 24-year old who actually works in technology, let me be frank and offer some opinions.

1. The websites. They are your first line of marketing in the internet age, and they are showing their age. A site that looks like it was designed in the mid-90s with no new content is not going to make a favorable impression to those of the internet generation.

2. Meetups and groups. I've attended, or rather have tried to attend many meetups and groups with an age group much older than I am. It may not be intentional, but the impression I've received is of "what is that young punk doing here in our group" (in those cases, it was with "friends of such-and-such park" groups). If someone younger shows up, don't give them grief and refer them to as the "babies of the group". It doesn't exactly feel very welcoming.

3. Reach out to the FFA & 4H groups and the rural schools in your community. The rural schools still have those student organizations and they may be a potential source of future members. Heck the high school I attended in rural Northeastern Washington State had horticultural and forestry courses. I never recalled any outside groups coming in to offer presentations and to say, hey, we're here if you are interested.

Amanda