nafex - Re: [NAFEX] abandoned orchard / old apples question

  • From: "Carol Fall" <cjfall@ucdavis.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] abandoned orchard / old apples question
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:16:56 -0700

I'm not sure what varieties of apples might have been popular at that time
in Washington, but I'm sure the list is very long. Still, I have some
suggestions based on our Heritage Orchard Project in very northern
California (almost Oregon)....

Check with the archaeologist serving that agency. In our area BLM has been
identifying some of the old varieties. USFS hasn't gone that far, but they
can usually tell you the history of the orchard. When it was planted gives
you some clues as to what varieties were available.

Many of our homesteads (which have since reverted to the feds) were patented
around 1910 - 1925. We use references like "California Fruits and How to
Grow Them" by Wickson, which recommended about 50 different varieties, as a
starting point for that era. The Historical Society has also provided
newspaper articles and ads describing different varieties sold around that
time.

But after all that, I still just hike in, pick the fruit, work through
ripening date, color, shape, taste, etc etc, make a guess, then ship it off
to someone who is much better at identifying old varieties! Good luck and
good exploring.

Carol Fall
Trinity County Cooperative Extension