nafex - [NAFEX] abandoned orchard / old apples question

  • From: Amanda <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: 'North American Fruit Explorers' <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] abandoned orchard / old apples question
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:23:01 -0700

Since Google updated the images in Google Earth for my neck of the woods, I noticed what appears to be an abandoned orchard on a homestead in the middle of federal land (coordinates are 48°27'47.96"N, 117°41'51.52"W).

The orchard hasn't been touched since the homestead was taken over in the mid-1930s by FDR's Resettlement Administration.

Before I hike the mile or so into the woods to see what is actually there, does anyone have an idea as to what varieties of apples would have been grown in the early 20th century in Washington State?

--
Amanda Emily
Colville, WA (z/5b)