nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fire blight on dwarf apple espalier and pomegranate pruning

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fire blight on dwarf apple espalier and pomegranate pruning
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:15:05 -0400

Thank you Dennis,

Upon examination of the photos, I believe that I did see bloom blight
initially, but I mistook it for freeze damage.

The late freeze this year has certainly been a challenge in the orchard!

My "Favorite" pomegranate was killed to the ground from the freeze and
now I have numerous shoots emerging.
Can anyone recommend how to form this new opportunity. Should I select
one strong shoot, or leave it as a cluster of three or so?
I have a relatively small space to which I will confine the plant- about
5 feet diameter, 10 feet tall.

Betsy Hilborn
NC zone 7a