nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poisonous Garden Huckleberry?

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poisonous Garden Huckleberry?
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:55:55 -0400

All of the ripe fruit photos of Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna)
that I can find in a Google image search show black colored berries
which is consistent with what I recall from the reference books.

In doing the search though I believe I have been misidentifying the
nightshade that is very common at my place. I think it's not Atropa
belladonna at all, but rather Black Nightshade which seems to have
more than one binomial name in the quicky search I just did. I'm
going to have to search out a blossoming plant now to see if it
actually is. It's a common weed here.

.....Alan.